From our friends at Thermador!
1 small butternut squash (about 1.5 pounds)
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 small onion, diced
2 cups chopped kale leaves (about 1 small bunch) (or other greens such as mizuna mustard or Swiss chard)
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
1/4 teaspoon onion salt
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, or to taste
fresh ground black pepper
red chili flakes, optional
4-6 large eggs
about 1-2 cups marinara sauce, optional
- Peel butternut squash and remove inner seeds. Cut squash into bite sized pieces, about 1/2” cubes. Make sure to keep the squash pieces the same for consistent cooking.
- Heat large skillet on medium high heat. Add olive oil, then add onion and cook for about 2 minutes until soft. Add butternut squash and cook for about 15 minutes or until the squash becomes almost cooked on the outside.
- Add kale, ground cumin, smoked paprika, garlic salt, onion salt, thyme leaves, salt and pepper. Stir the spices into the veggies until well combined and cook for another 3-5 minutes, or until kale is crisp and butternut squash is completely cooked.
- Reduce heat to low and break eggs on top of squash mixture and cover with a lid. Cook the eggs until the whites have set and the yolk is to your desired texture.
- If desired, serve the squash and eggs with marinara sauce on top. Add additional red chili flakes for extra spice and flavor.